I am looking forward to the release of the Annual State of the Industry Report. I finished writing about 2 weeks ago and now it's going through regulatory, legal, compliance, marketing, production, etc. You can't believe how many people contribute to the production of this.
The report will be released on January 14th. Signing up for the videocast will give you a replay link to watch later, an early link to the report, and slides produced and used during the session. [sign up here]
You'll have to wait to hear the conclusions but here is a teaser.
We asked the question in the SVB survey, "How was your year." It might be surprising to know that sixty-nine percent of the industry believed 2019 was a good year, and 24% said it was their best year ever!
That is of course only part of the story and why talking in averages is so dangerous at times. Below is the other part of the chart I left off. In the left half of the chart, you can clearly see that a growing number of wineries are having increasing difficulties.
That is obviously the tip of the iceberg in the discussion. During the live videocast, we are going to cover many more topics including:
- Substitutes — spirits, beer, imports, and cannabis
- The current acute oversupply of grapes and what that will mean
- Consumer demand — trends and opportunities
- Sales of wine in restaurants and grocery stores
- Needed changes to the Direct to Consumer model
- Industry sentiment — what are the industry's main fears?
- Can anyone take price increases in today's environment?
- The critical change we need to make in sales and marketing
Date: January 14, 2020
Time: 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. PST