We're All Glad that Year is Over
2020 will go down as the year in which we answered the heretofore rhetorical question - What else can go wrong? That is the opening line from the 2021 SVB State of the Industry Report that will come out Wednesday the 13th.
Throughout 2020 many of us experienced the same run of emotions from disbelief, fear, acceptance, determination, and occasionally even a bit of joy through one of the most difficult times in history. As we went through the year, we would think to ourselves - this has to be the worst of it. It has to get better from here?
We all fought through a series of events, increasing our vocabulary along the way: Coronavirus, COVID, S.I.P. Orders, social distancing, Zoom meetings, herd immunity, PPE, and pandemic - which I thought only happened in bad science fiction movies before last March.
Will 2021 Be Better than 2020?
We need information and the right tools to be able to plan. While we have to talk about the past for context, this coming Wednesday, I hope to give everyone the benefit of a look forward.
Start with the headline slide for a teaser. Despite the gloomy events of the past year, luxury wine sales held their own, particularly when you consider this performance in context with the last recession. The last recession featured trading down. This recession has given a breath of life to trading up again! Aren't you curious why?
Last Chance to Sign Up
This is your LAST CHANCE to sign up for the release of the 20th Annual SVB State of the Industry Report and Videocast where our panel will review the results from the Annual SVB Winery Conditions Survey in concert with the impact and magnitude of events that shaped 2020 and influenced the performance of our industry.
During the videocast, we will provide viewers with predictions about forward business conditions and pinpoint consumer changes in 2021 and beyond.
Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 9:00 am – 10:00 am PST
REGISTER TODAY to join us for this highly anticipated virtual gathering.
Some topics the panel will discuss include:
• The consumer you knew in 2020 isn’t the same consumer that will emerge in 2021. How will your winery capitalize on the opportunity?
• Wine sales will improve in some channels and deteriorate in others. Are you investing in a channel that will give you the most incremental lift?
• What will define winning and losing strategies in a post-COVID world where growth in wine sales is likely to be flat?
• Starting 2020 with acute oversupply should imply lower grape pricing for an extended-term under normal conditions, but nothing about 2020 was normal. How will grape pricing trend in 2021 and beyond?
• Which sales strategies were the most successful in 2020 and which will remain and expand in a post-COVID world?
Please join me along with Amy Hoopes, President, Wente Family Estates, Paul Mabray, CEO, Pix.wine, Erik McLaughlin, CEO, Metis, and Devin Joshua, Managing Director, Merryvale Vineyards as we tackle each of these questions and more.
Signing up will give you gratis access to the live videocast, the ability to sign up for the follow-up videocast with an additional hour of content, a link to download the SVB Annual State of the Industry Report, as well as charts presented within the videocast.