In early May, I was interviewed by Latife Hayson on the 2019 State of the Industry Report from Napa California. The interview format allowed me to wander into many other topics and updates not covered in the original SVB Wine Report , the January panels presenting the SVB State of the Industry Videocast nor the Followup Q&A Videocast.
I was able to take large subjects in a quick-hit format which I really enjoy. It also gave me a little time to talk about the marketing opportunities we have in the family wine community that can effectively increase sales.
If you are not tired of hearing me after the recent DtC videocasts, I think you will enjoy some of these topics:
- Will millennials ever have children, buy cars, or become fine wine consumers?
- Why should wineries market to millennials if they aren't currently buying wine?
- Will the transfer of boomer wealth inspire millennials to be luxury consumers?
- Cannabis: its influence on wine consumption, and Constellation's investment in Canopy Growth.
- Luxury products and what we can learn about marketing wine using their example
- What's the major threat to Napa?
- Given the threats discussed, what are the opportunities for the wine industry to grow?
- Values of younger and older consumers are different. How do you market to two cohorts at the same time, or should you even try?
- Creating an on-ramp for the young consumer.
- Is Napa wine too expensive?
- Why are spirits price/value competitive with wine?
- Imports and value wine regions. Do imports threaten Napa?
- Are millennials going to gravitate to wine in their 40's and 50's?
- M&A cycle is at a natural end. What does that mean?
- The Gallo purchase of the Constellation brands: What does that mean for the industry?
- What will Napa Valley look like in 10 to 20 years?
Oh ... me on the donkey at the top of the page? That was last October in Santorini when I successfully climbed to the summit of the volcano lip - or at least the donkey did. I was quite proud as you can tell. It has nothing to do with this topic, but I needed a good picture somewhere.
What's Your Opinion?
We are at an industry transition point, but not everyone agrees how much of a threat that is, or what to do about it. What are your thoughts?
- Is there a threat?
- What's the threat in your mind?
- What should we do about it?
Please join this site in the top right-hand side of the page, and offer your thoughts below. I respond to everyone.
If you think this information and discussion is valuable, please share this post on your favorite social media platform.